Credit Requirements (APEX)
APEX is a computerized program that allows students to take courses on-line. The emphasis for Larkin is credit recovery. Some units in APEX may also be assigned by a classroom teacher to help with re-teaching or remediation while still enrolled in the course.
Students who wish to enroll in APEX courses can pick up an application from their counselors. Completed applications should be returned to that office and wait for notification of acceptance. Seniors facing graduation issues based on Failed courses which need to be made up will be given priority.
Important Considerations for the Program:
Behavior: Students who have been suspended or have received excessive referrals will not be allowed to participate. APEX requires self-motivated students who can work independently.
Grades: Students must be making successful progress toward completion of their current daily course load before they will be allowed to add additional course work through the APEX program. Additionally, students must maintain the schedule for finishing their APEX class. Students who do not log in for 10 consecutive days may be dropped from APEX for lack of performance.
- Student is responsible for getting all necessary information from the counselor and returning the application to the Student Services Office.
- Limited to 2 courses per semester & Limited to 6 total credits earned throughout the 4-5 years in high school.
- Courses must be finished within the same semester they are started or students will be dropped from the program. Students who do not finish will lose all work completed to that date and it will not be recovered.
- Any student who is not making regular progress toward completion will be dropped from the program. As a general rule, students must have completed at least 15 hours by the 1st progress report to be considered on track.
- All assessments for the course must taken at the school in a supervised setting.
- A 70% passing rate will be required for moving on to the next unit of study.
- Course grades will be based on the percentages earned:
- 90%+ = A
- 80-89% = B
- 70-79% = C
- STUDENTS MUST PASS THE FINAL EXAM IN ORDER TO RECEIVE CREDIT FOR THE COURSE. STUDENTS WILL BE GIVEN 2 OPPORTUNITIES TO PASS THE FINAL.
- Students will not be allowed to take course work for original credit unless there are extenuating circumstances that warrant this exception with approval from the Administration.
- Senior students must complete all course work by the Wednesday before the graduation ceremony in order to be able to participate in the graduation ceremony of that school year.
- Office hours for assessments are posted and it is the responsibility of the student to make arrangements to take all necessary assessments.
- Students must attend an orientation session before they will be allowed to progress into the coursework.
- Students MUST CHECK INTO THE APEX ROOM ON A WEEKLY BASIS WHETHER OR NOT THEY TAKE A TEST THAT WEEK. STUDENTS WHO DO NOT CHECK IN FOR 2 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS WILL HAVE LOGINS SUSPENDED UNTIL A MEETING CAN BE HELD WITH THE COUNSELOR.
- Any student is suspected of cheating will be removed from the program. A parent conference with the administration will be necessary to be reinstated in the program.
- Any student who is removed from the APEX lab due to misbehavior will not be allowed to complete the course. There are to be no disciplinary problems of any type in this setting.
Please contact the APEX Coordinators or your Student’s Counselor for additional information.
Larkin High School main line: (847) 888-5200
Name Period Ext. Bieschke, Tom 2,5,6,7,8 4531 TomBieschke@u-46.org Murphy, Kathryn 1 8329 KathrynMurphy@u-46.org Wilson, Reddy 3,4 5204 ReddyWilson@u-46.org