Health Education is a 9-week course in both 7th and 8th grade. The health curriculum is aligned to the Illinois learning standards, State mandates and was school board approved in April of 2015 [see right]. Below are the units of study, Focus questions and approximate number of days spent on the topic. If you have any questions or would like to further discuss the content below please contact your child's health education teacher.
Units of Study
7th Grade Health
- Dimensions of Wellness - How healthy am I in the 4 areas of wellness?
- Decision Making - How do my decisions impact my Health?
- Reproductive Systems - What are the structures and functions of the male and female reproductive systems?
- Nutrition - How healthy is my diet and what changes should I make?
- Tobacco/Alcohol - What are the long and short term effects of tobacco? What are the
physical, emotional, social and mental long and short term dangers of Alcohol use?
8th Grade Health
- Dimensions of Wellness: Has my level of Wellness changed in the seven areas since 7th grade?
- Substance Use, Abuse and Misuse: What are the physical, mental, social and emotional long and short term effects of using steroids, prescription drugs and other illegal substances?
- Relationships/Dating and Violence: What are the components of healthy and unhealthy relationships? What is Erin's law and where can I go for help?
- Human Sexuality: How do you prevent conception?
- Sexually Infectious Diseases: What are the most common STD's? How do you contract an STD, can they be cured or treated and what are their long-term complications?
- Writing utensil
- Folder + notebook specifically for this course