Our mission is to provide a community environment that fosters high expectations, appreciation of differences and a climate where all will be productive in a changing and diverse society.
Garfield School Second Grade, 1919
Construction of Garfield's main building began in 1887. The building was opened for the first school year in 1889. It was originally named May St. School. Miss M.G. Kellogg was the first principal. The teaching staff at that time consisted of only four teachers: Miss Kellogg, principal and fifth grade teacher; Miss Cora McAllister, third and fourth; Miss Annie Hansen, second and third; and Miss Georgia Osgood, first and second grade teacher.
On October 4th, 1898, the building was renamed Garfield School, after James A. Garfield. Mr. Garfield was the 20th president of the United States, and he served as principal of the institute at Hiram College, Ohio.
There have been three additions to the main building since the school was opened (1891, 1921, and 1977). The third addition consisted of the mobile unit.
Nowadays, Garfield school has some 350 students in 17 classrooms, from Kindergarten through sixth grade. Our staff includes more than 40 professionals.