• Becoming a Teacher within the State of Illinois

    Illinois offers full reciprocity. At the time of the initial evaluation for an Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL), educators will be considered for all areas listed on his or her valid, comparable out-of-state license.  Per Part 25 Rules, all out-of-state licenses must be equivalent t​o the Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL).​ ISBE has authority to determine license equivalency and may request additional documentation to verify equivalency.  Any educator applying with an out-of-country license must also submit a translated foreign credential evaluation showing preparation in the licensure area sought.  Visit the International Resources section of our website to learn more. 

    In order to serve as a teacher, school support personnel, or an administrator in the state of Illinois at a public or approved non-public programs, an individual must obtain a PEL. A PEL must be endorsed in one of the following areas:

Pre-Approved Coursework for the Illinois Professional Educator

  • Regionally Accrediting Bodies

    All coursework must be completed through a regionally accredited institution for licensure in Illinois. Below you will find a list of regionally accrediting bodies:

  • FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


Additional Resource Links