Parents usually have a number of questions about registering their students. Many of your questions will be answered on this page. Any other questions can be answered by the staff at the school.
As soon as possible after your moving plans are finalized, please contact the U-46 school your child will be attending. Click here to enter the street address and zip code into our searchable database called VersaTrans and receive instant information regarding the elementary, middle and high school students will attend. The search results will also display bus route information, if applicable.
If your child is in kindergarten for the 2020-2021 school year, he/she must be five years of age on or before September 1, 2020. Please remember that elementary school offices are closed from June 1 until August 4. Calling the school office will ensure someone will be available to help you when you come in. If you are unsure which school your child will attend, please call 847-888-5000 ext. 5040 or click here for the school locator.
If a language other than English is spoken in the home contact the Family Welcome Center. Click here to visit the FWC website.
When contacting the school, please have copies of recent report cards, information about recent standardized test scores and especially any information regarding Special Education placement, if appropriate.
School District U-46 provides free bus transportation for students living 1.5 miles or more from the school (as calculated by the District U-46 Transportation Department). Parents will be given information at Registration with their child's name, stop location and time; it will also include information on Transportation Procedures. There is no need to contact the Transportation Department prior to registration to give them your child's information.Enrollment in Attendance Area
- Bring the following Documents:
- 3 proofs of residency (recent utility bills, credit card bill, insurance card, library card, license registration, etc.) When looking at the forms, please note that one proof must be from the A category and two from the B category. Click here for forms in English or Spanish. It is not required to show personal information (account #’s, payment amounts $, etc.) on these forms. Please feel free to block out any of the personal information that does not relate to proof of your residency.
- Birth Certificate - Click here for information about how to obtain your child's birth certificate, by county.
- While at the school you will need to fill out:
- Release of Student Records for out-of-district students. (Form will be sent to your child's previous school so please have the address, phone and fax numbers with you)
- Insurance form
- Physical Exam and up-to-date immunications, if your student is in pre-school, kindergarten, 6th grade, and 9th grade. Students new to District U-46 from districts outside Illinois must have a physical examination (and current immunizations) before entering ANY grade.
- Click here for the Physical Examinations and Immunizations Information form.
- School District U-46 has a FIRST DAY EXCLUSION policy for physical examinations and immunizations. They must be brought to the school on or before the first day of class. If you have questions about the requirement for physical examinations and immunizations, call U-46 Health Services office at (847) 888-5000, Ext. 5335
- Dental exam requirement for grades K, 2 and 6.
School District U-46 does not have an "open enrollment" policy. All students are expected to be enrolled at the school designated at the attendance center for their home address. The use of a baby sitter’s address is not acceptable for enrollment.