Aug. 7, 2020
Dear Parkwood families,
I hope this letter finds you and your loved ones healthy and well. The team at Parkwood is looking forward to welcoming students on the first day of instruction, Monday, Aug. 24.
While we won’t yet all be together under the same roof, we are ready to connect with our students and families and provide the best quality instruction in the safest manner possible this school year. We are confident that we will all work together to be successful.
We will share more details about the school day in the coming weeks. Your child can expect more time with their teacher in synchronous instruction, meaning a teacher will be leading a classroom in a live, interactive online lesson as well as assignments and coursework where they can work on their own or check-in with their teacher for directions or support via computer.
Remember, our school will host virtual events and possible "to go" bags with materials to pick up as part of our efforts to help students successfully return to learning. The teachers will reach out to you to set up time and date via virtual connection. Please secure you have registered an active email so that we may connect with you. If you need to update your email, please reach out to the Head Secretary, Wendy Gonzalez at 630-213-5595 ext. 5596 so that she can make any necessary changes in Infinite Campus.
Over the summer break, I spent time reading, took two online courses, and did some remodeling at home. Many of our staff members spent some of their break in professional development, and they are rested, recharged, and excited for the 2020-21 school year.
- Our school supplies list can be found under “Families” on the District website here.
Again, please note that the supply list was developed prior to the decision to start the year remotely and we are encouraging both our families and faculty to modify the list as needed and remain flexible during distance learning.
A few more general housekeeping tips:
- The District’s website is also where you’ll find the official calendar for the 2020-21 school year, including important dates like winter break, school holidays and the last day of school (June 2, 2021, if no emergency days are used).
- If you still have to complete registration for your child, please visit the District’s Registration Department website page. The registration office can be reached at 847-888-5000 ext. 5016.
- Students entering Preschool/Early Childhood, Kindergarten, 6th, 9th, and 12th grade are typically required to submit health records to school on or before the first day of school. However, this year that requirement has been extended to Oct. 15, 2020. For more information, please visit the District’s Health Services Department section.
Finally, we recommend that you make time for a conversation with your child before Aug. 24 about how they feel about the new school year. We recognize that students have faced social and emotional challenges during this uncertain time. Talking about their hopes and concerns - and your family’s own expectations and school-year routines -- can help everyone start off the year with a positive attitude. We will also be focused on our students’ social and emotional well being as we start the school year.
We will have frequent updates during the 2020-21 school year as we all continue to implement Distance Learning, as well our plan for limited in-person school visits during the first quarter and our planned hybrid learning model during the second quarter, starting Oct. 26.
I am looking forward to a wonderful 2020-21 school year. I am grateful and honored to work with our faculty, all of our families and, importantly, our students.
- firstname.lastname@example.org or 630.213.5595 x5597
- Let’s Talk, our online Customer Service Tool
- School District U-46 Central Office, Educational Services Center: 847-888-5000