Welcome to the SHS school health office!
This web page was created to support SHS students, parents, and staff enhance our health and well- being. This is a work in progress, so please check back from time to time to see what additions are available. Also please let us know if there is information you are interested in seeing on the page in the future. There will be health information, health apps, articles, interviews, research, and community resources posted from time to time. We hope you enjoy the web page and find it helpful. We also encourage questions about health conditions and practices for discussion.
MEET THE SHS SCHOOL HEALTH OFFICE TEAM:
Mrs. Mary Girardi MSN, RN, PEL-CSN has been an IL professional educator licensed school nurse since 2000. She completed her 300- hour school nurse internship here in u-46. She has experience working with students and families around the district from preschool through high school. She earned a Bachelor's degree in nursing from the University of Illinois, and a Master of Science degree in nursing education from Walden University. She was awarded the Illinois Association of School Nurses School Nurse of the Year designation during the 2015-16 school year. Mrs. Girardi provides assessment and support for students with special health and learning needs, is part of the building specialized student services team and the 504 team to create health plans and accommodations for students in need. She also works with students and families to create temporary modifications when there has been an illness or injury. She provides health promotion and education for students, staff, and the SHS school community. She enjoys the outdoors and gardening.
Mrs. Elizabeth (Liz) Moore BS, RN has a Bachelor of Science degree and currently works as our building nurse to help with daily care of students, provides direct student health counseling and education, carries out health initiatives, helps our team create positive health messages, and posts health information throughout our office. Mrs. Moore has a an interesting work history, having worked as a jail nurse and in a nearby school district in a position similar to her current work at SHS. She came to us highly recommended! Mrs. Moore has three children that also keep her very busy. She enjoys arts & crafts, and this talent is clearly displayed on the various health office bulletin boards.
Mrs. Kathleen Easter, our SHS Health Secretary has over 20 years of experience as a medical records auditor and medical coding. Mrs. Easter also has extensive expertise in computer applications and technology. She manages all student health records and compliance with state of Illinois requirements for physicals and immunizations of all students at SHS. She makes sure the health office runs smoothly duriing the day; we don't know how she juggles this so well.You can reach us at: 630-213-5500 x4943
The contents of this page includes:
- Required forms for physicals & immunizations
- Medication Administrations Permission & order form
- Diabetes care plan- order forms for parent/guardians and primary care doctors
- Asthma Assessment and Asthma Action Plan forms
- Allergy Assessment and medical order forms
- Food allergy Forms
- Seizure assessment and emergency plan forms*
GENERAL HEALTH AND TEEN WELL- BEING INFORMATION (a work in progress)
* Teen sleep considerations
* Vaping trends and teen health effects; how to talk to your teen about vaping
* Screen time and effects on teen health; help for parents and ideas for establishing home expectations
* Skin and sun safety
* Websites and other resources for parents and teens (work in progress)
* Local commuity health agencies (work in progress)
* Links to District u-46 Health Services web page
* Reminder – Physical and Vaccine Requirements for 2020-21
* How to Take an Oral Temperature Using a Digital Thermometer