New Student Enrollment

  • Important News

    It is very important that students who are new to our state, new to our school district, and new to our school, enroll their child way before the school year begins.  If you know in the spring or summer before the next school year your child will change their school placement please begin the process during July or the first week of August.  If you begin the process later than that your child might not begin school on the first day. 

    • Please click here to register your student.

    New Enrollment Requirements

    The items below are required to enroll a new student at Elgin High School. When you have all of the required information, you must then make an appointment with the guidance secretary. 

    Your enrollment may be delayed if all information is not provided at the time of your appointment.

    1. Former School: Name, address, phone number.

    • Date enrolled; Date left
    • Unoffical transcript, grades in progress, schedule
    • Illinois Board of Education (ISBE) Transfer Form (Only required from Illinois public schools).
    • Copy of IEP (Special Education Students Only)
    • Copy of an existing Section 504 Accommodation Plan 

    2. Has the enrolling student ever attended a U-46 school? If yes, you will need to provide:

    • Date enrolled in U-46
    • Date left U-46

    3. Three (3) Proofs of Residency

    Residency of Person with Whom Student Lives and Who Claims Custody of the Student: As initial proof of resisency, the person with whom the student lives in the District and who claims custodial custody of the student must provide:

    Category A. Provide ORIGINAL COPIES of at least one of the following documents:

    • The most recent real estate tax bill for my residence showing me as the tax payer
    • Mortgage papers or statement
    • Signed lease for my residence
    • A notarized letter of residence in lieu of lease, from the owner of the residence indicating the  duration of my stay there.  This person providing one from category A & 1 from category B.
    • A closing statement for the purchase of my residence

    Category B. Provide ORIGINAL COPIES of one of the following documents:

    • Current gas, electric, or water bill
    • Valid government issued picture ID with current address in which student resides.
    • Public Aid Card
    • Current homeowners or renters insurance certificate
    • Current telephone, cable, or dish bill
    • Receipt for city vehicle sticker


    Category C. None of the documents in categories A or B above are applicable because:

    • The student is homeless and eligible for enrollment under the Illinois Education for Homeless Children Act
    • The student is enrolling based on the determination of the Department of Children and Family Services
    • Proof of Residency will be established within 30 calendar days; however, a real estate contract, closing statement, or lease MUST be presented as initial proof of residence. If the student does not become a resident within 30 days, he/she may be charged tuition or he/she may be removed from school. 


    Proof of Custody and Residency Form ENGLISH/SPANISH. This form is completed by the parent/legal custody person by the courts of child.

    CONSENT FOR RELEASE OF STUDENT RECORDS FORM ENGLISH/SPANISH. This form is required so that we can contact your child's previous school to obtain offical student records needed to meet the needs of your child.

    AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENT REGARDING RESIDENCY OF OTHERS (English or Spanish). This form is used when parents and student is living with others and the documentation is in their name. The form requires a notary to complete this.


    Language and Education Background Form

    Race & Ethnicity Data Standards Form English/Spanish

    **If entering 9th grade, proof of a physical with a date within one year of the first day of the school year and a copy of student's immunization dates that must be in complaince with the Illinois School Code.

    *** If entering 12th grade, proof of an additional immunization for complaince with the Illinois School Code

    *** Students entering from within the state of Illinois in any grade must bring a copy of their physical and immunizations. Immunizations must be in complaince with the Illinois School Code, 

    During the month of July and August you will park in the parking lot outside door 1, enter door 1 and proceed to the Main office

    During the school year park in the parking lot outside door 3, enter door 3, then sign in at the security desk, then proceed to the Guidance office.  Once you have completed the residency process then you can make an appointment to meet with a guidance counselor to determine your child’s academic schedule.

    Once all the paperwork has been completed and signed then the registrar will enter all this data in Infinte Campus.