The Drama Academy
FOCUS AREA INTRODUCTION:
The Visual and Performing Arts Academy Drama Focus is committed to developing performance abilities in, an appreciation for, and knowledge of the Dramatic Arts. Through a variety of activities students in the Drama Focus will identify, design, analyze and evaluate all aspects of theatrical and multi-media productions.
FOCUS AREA PHILOSOPHY:
The VPAA Drama Focus Curriculum is centered on the production process, including the knowledge, skills, and proper preparation steps necessary to achieve a successful performance. Rehearsal and performance experience interwoven with research and method study provides students with an engaging and challenging study of Dramatic Arts.
FOCUS AREA GOALS:
- To further develop students’ natural talent and interest in Drama
- To teach the fundamentals of stage acting, including movement, voice, and presence.
- To develop an appreciation for, and understanding of Technical Theatre, including set design, lighting, sound, costumes, props and make-up.
- To achieve the necessary skills in order to select, organize, direct and evaluate theatrical and video productions.
- To discover the critical role of the preparation process for all performance styles.
FOCUS AREA INSTRUCTIONAL OBJECTIVES:
- Students will study a variety of acting styles, including comedy, drama, and improvisation.
- Students will prepare and perform multi-facetted works, including monologs, group scenes, pantomimes, and videos.
- Students will learn theatrical make-up techniques, including those techniques used in ?lm and theatre, for characters and special effects.
- Students will develop skills needed throughout the theatrical production process, including auditions, rehearsals, technical requirements, and performance.
- Students will develop skills needed throughout the video production process, including storyboards, camera techniques, and editing.
- Students will develop the ability to judge their own performance, as well as the performances of others, based on knowledge and experience of the process.
Reddy Andren, ext. 4502