Letters of Recomendation
College applications, scholarships, and sometimes employers all might request a letter of recomendation from you.
Here are a few guidelines and a helpful form (linked here - use File-> Save a Copy to edit) to use when asking someone to write a recomendation letter for you.
- The people who can write you the best letters of recomendation are the people who know you best.
- If you have a teacher or coach who you want to write a letter for you, ASK THEM FIRST!
- Make sure you give them plenty of time to write the letter. Two weeks is a minimum.
- For colleges - you also need to officially ask them through Naviance (see instructions below).
- Being able to share a copy of your resume helps counselors and teachers know about all the cool things you've done.
- If the college, scholarship, or employer needs to know something specific about you - let the person writing the letter know that. Letter writers can better target your needs that way.
- Open this form, then File -> Save A Copy to update and fill out
Requesting recomendation letters in Naviance
If you require a letter of recommendation from your counselor, or a teacher
Formally request a letter through Naviance by clicking on Colleges -> Apply to College -> Letters of Recommendation and follow the prompts