African American Council
Help our students become more competitive in our global society by:
- informing our parents and families of U-46 services
- assisting our parents and families with questions and concerns
Our council works with the School District concerning African American students and staff.
This year, we will engage in a book study as a family - One Community, One Book. We are going to spend a portion of each meeting conversing about the book, Fugitive Pedagogy. Please click on the link here to read more about this awesome book by Dr. Jarvis Givens.
When: 2nd Thursday of the Month
Where: Varies (see details below)
Time: 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
2022-23 Meeting Schedule
- Thursday, Sept. 8, 2022 (in-person at Elgin High School, Library) click here to register
- Thursday, Oct. 13, 2022 (via Zoom) click here to register
- Thursday, Nov. 10, 2022 (via Zoom)
- No meeting in December
- Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023 (via Zoom)
- Thursday, Feb. 9, 2023 (via Zoom)
- No meeting in March
- Thursday, April 13, 2023 (via Zoom)
All U-46 parents are invited to attend our events and our meetings!
Recorded Sessions - Presented by the U-46 African American Advisory Council
November 16, 2021: Strengthening Parental Agency and Equity of Voice
October 20, 2020: Discussing Racism & Racial Injustices at Home - Part I
November 17, 2020: Discussing Racism & Racial Injustices at Home - Part II