The U-46 Wellness Initiative
School District U-46 is committed to the optimal development of every student. The District believes that for students to achieve personal, academic, developmental, and social success, we need to create positive, safe, and health-promoting learning environments throughout the school year.
The U-46 Wellness Initiative is an outline of goals and procedures that ensure:
▪ Students in the District have access to healthy foods throughout the school day ‒ both through reimbursable school meals and other foods available throughout the school campus‒ in accordance with Federal and state nutrition standards;
▪ Students receive quality nutrition education that helps them develop lifelong healthy eating behaviors;
▪ Students have opportunities to be physically active before, during and after school;
▪ Schools engage in nutrition and physical activity promotion and other activities that promote student wellness;
▪ School staff are encouraged and supported to practice healthy nutrition and physical activity behaviors in and out of school;
▪ The community is engaged in supporting the work of the District in creating continuity between school and other settings for students and staff to practice lifelong healthy habits; and
▪ The District establishes and maintains an infrastructure for management, oversight, implementation, communication about and monitoring its established goals and objectives.