• Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE):

    In certain circumstances, the parent(s)/guardian(s) of a child with a disability have the right to obtain an independent educational evaluation at the District’s expense, if the parent(s)/guardian(s) disagreed with the evaluation conducted by the school district. 


    • More detailed information can be found in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act under Section 300.502.


    • If the parent(s)/guardian(s) requests an evaluation, the school district may ask why he/she is in disagreement with the district’s evaluation. 


    • The parent(s)/guardian(s) are entitled to only one IEE at public expense each time the school district conducts an evaluation that the parent(s)/guardian(s) does not agree with. 


    • The independent evaluator:
      • Must not be employed with the District.
      • Must be qualified to conduct the evaluation.
      • Should be mutually agreeable to both the parent(s)/guardian(s) and the District.


    • The district’s obligation, upon completion of the IEE, is to consider the results of that evaluation.


    How to Request an Independent Evaluation (IEE):

      • We ask that you submit your request in writing to the Assistant Director of Compliance, Amanda Leatherby and the Special Education Administrator (SEA) or the High School Assistant Principal of Student Services. 


    • For example:  I am writing to request an Independent Educational Evaluation for my child ___________ because I am in disagreement with the following components of the recently conducted evaluation (Specifically list what you are in disagreement with and why). 


    • If you would like the names of independent evaluators other parents have successfully utilized, please let us know and we would be happy to share this information with you. 


    • If you have a name of a provider you would like the District to consider, please include this in your request.