U-46 strives to promote academic success for all of our more than 6,000 middle school students at our 8 middle schools. U-46 recognizes that middle school is a time of transition for 7th and 8th grade students as they move from the structured environment of the elementary school to the more independent middle school atmosphere. Students must adjust to a new academic setting, higher expectations, and greater responsibilities as well as interacting with a far larger number of students and teachers. U-46 middle school philosophy is to create a child-centered approach to learning that will provide students with opportunities to develop basic skills and acquire knowledge necessary to develop a positive self-image and to foster academic, social, and personal growth.
We believe that parent engagement at every grade level is critical to student’s academic success. Here are some helpful tips to help your middle school student excel in school.
- Create a welcoming learning environment in the home for your child to do homework.
- Visit your child's school, meet your child’s teachers and principal and attend Parent Teacher Conferences.
- Familiarize yourself with what your student is learning.
- Visit the U-46 Curriculum & Instruction webpage to understand the curriculum and learning standards implemented in U-46 classrooms.
- Visit the U-46 Assessment webpage to learn what tests your students are taking and an explanation of assessment used in U-46.
- Teach your children about appropriate social behavior at school. U-46 uses PBIS to promote positive behavior and an effective learning environment.
- U-46 places school safety among its highest priorities. Learn about our safe school practices.
Resources for Parents of Middle School Students
Parent Grading Guide - English
This Grading Guide explains the fair and equitable grading practices and details about the 0-4 scale used at U-46 middle and high schools.
U-46 Middle Schools
Visit your child's school website to learn more about their learning environment, the school principal, student expectations, school activities and more.
U-46 Assessment & Accountability
The Assessment & Accountability webpage outlines which assessment tools are utilized at each grade level.
U-46 Communication Guidelines for Parents & Guardians
The U-46 Communication Guidelines for Parents & Guardians are designed to make communicating with U-46 easy and to connect you with the answers you need.
U-46 Curriculum & Instruction
Visit the U-46 Curriculum and Instruction webpage to learn more about what your child is learning and what skills he/she is gaining at each grade level.
High School Academies
Early in 8th grade, students can apply for consideration to attend one of the five academies offered at the high school level.
U-46 uses Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) in many of its schools to create and maintain safe and effective learning environments in schools and to ensure that all students have the social and emotional skills needed to achieve their success at school and beyond.
Learn about the equal, incremental grading scale for middle and high school students.