Can the police department and school share information if a student commits an illegal act?

Posted by:

Yes. Reciprocal reporting agreements can occur between schools and police departments under state law. These agreements require school board and municipal/city board approval. Reciprocal reporting agreements allow police and school officials to communicate regarding offenses committed by juveniles that are otherwise protected by confidentiality laws protecting their identity. Specific offenses are covered under the agreement, such as gang activity, weapon violations, drugs, fights, abuse, neglect and runaway issues. Also covered under the agreement are other offenses that could impact the safety of students or community members on or off campus. Police officials only communicate with specific school administrators. Information shared under the reciprocal reporting agreement is not part of a student’s academic record and guidelines specify information sharing protocol.