David and Edith Cole were Elgin residents, Elgin High School alumni, and life-long educators, dedicated to students and teaching. Having no direct heirs when they passed, they left equal portions of their estate to their church, the Anti-Cruelty Society, Sherman Hospital, and Elgin High School.
The funds left to Elgin High School were to be used to create four $1,000 scholarships per year to be given to graduating Elgin High School students who will be attending college.
To date, the Cole Scholarship fund has given out more than $43,000 in scholarships to Elgin High School grads. And, because these funds are held as an endowment by the U-46 Educational Foundation, this scholarship fund is expected to live on in perpetuity.
Mr. and Mrs. Cole will be remembered for their commitment to education, their devotion to the Elgin community, and for being the inaugural members of the U-46 Educational Foundation Legacy Society. You can visit their gravesites in Bluff City Cemetery in Elgin.
Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Cole.
The following article and pictures of David Cole are from the John Marshall High School, Class of 1957, website:
Mr. David Samuel Cole (Born: 6 June 1892; Died: November 1966)
Mr. Cole was principal at Marshall from November 1944 through June 1957. On 1 January 1955 he was 62 years old.
Mr. Cole was born on 6 June 1892 in Harvard, Illinois, the youngest of the four children of Samuel W. Cole and Mary L. Ryan. He started early in school administration. On 5 June 1917 he was the principal in the Sedro-Woolley, school district north of Seattle, Washington. By 1920 he was back with his parents in Harvard, Illinois, and attending college.
In the 1920s Mr. Cole married Edith M. Samuelson. The couple does not appear to have had children. In 1930 the Coles were living with Mrs. Cole’s mother and sister in Elgin, Illinois. Mr. Cole was employed as a principal of a public school and his wife and his sister-in-law as public school teachers. In 1940 The Coles were living in Chicago where he was employed as a public school principal and she as a public school teacher.
In November 1944 Mr. Cole became the fourth principal of Marshall High. The first, from 1893 when the school was formed until 1926 was Dr. Louis J. Block after whom Marshall’s auditorium and assembly hall was named. In 1926 Dr. Block retired and Mr. George A. Beers took his place as principal. Mr. Beers retired in 1942. Mr. Thaddeus J. Lubera served as principal from 1942 to 1944 when Mr. Cole assumed the role.
On 6 June 1957, Mr. Cole’s 65th birthday, a retirement and birthday dinner was given him in the Walnut Room of the Bismark Hotel. His retirement took effect at the end of semester.
Mr. Cole died in Elgin, Illinois, in November 1966. His wife Edith, who was born on 5 November 1891, died in October 1973, also in Elgin.
Contact the U-46 Educational Foundation
847-888-5000, ext. 5040 | firstname.lastname@example.org